Sunday, September 30, 2007

Resume blog

This article interested me the most concerning resumes: http://www.careerjournal.com/jobhunting/resumes/20070308-meehan.html. It deals with taking a year off of work to travel and how to explain that on a resume.

I personally love to travel, and I have explored this option when I leave college. My parents, however, would prefer another option, getting a job. Although I do want to be successful in business, I want to travel and enjoy my youth as well. I did not get an opportunity to study abroad during college (my sister did, and she still gloats today about her experience in Italy and France).

If I were to leave the country and do a tour de Europe, I would have to explain why I did not pursuit a job out of college. The article does a great job explaining how to answer this question, and how it may actually work to your advantage. If you want to travel overseas, you are a person who wants to learn, explore and experience new and exciting opportunities and cultures. Moreover, you are not the person who will sit in a cubicle and type constantly. Instead, traveling and discovering different cultures means you are creative, social and not afraid to take risks.

Although I do not think I will travel for a year out of college, I may decide to do so before I turn thirty. I am a person who enjoys traveling to different parts of the world to see and learn about different cultures. By going overseas, I feel I can enhance my overall performance in the workplace.

No comments: