Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interviewing

This is the article I found most interesting.
http://www.careerjournal.com/jobhunting/interviewing/20060321-knight.html

During my spring semester Junior year, I interviewed at Norfolk Southern for a real estate internship in Atlanta, Georgia. About 100 of students were applying for various jobs at Norfolk Southern, and we were all assembled into a meeting room where we were debriefed about the agenda for the day. Part of the agenda was an "assessment" as the woman from human resources put it. This assessment consisted of three sections: analogies, problem solving, and a personality test.

The personality test contained 300 questions about how I react to certain situations, if I am a team player and if I am a type A or type B personality. While I was taking the test, it seemed as if every question was asked in a different way at least five times.

Although a personality test should provide an accurate representation, I did no answer every questions honestly. Instead, I gave the answer my potential bosses wanted to hear.

The writer of the article says that it is an excellent way of determining the type of person you are and how you handle stress. I looked at it as a way of giving the answers they want to hear. The interview should provide the best proof about your personality and your decision-making abilities, not a test.

No comments: