Sunday, October 21, 2007

Interview

This week, Ms. Rogers and I had a mock interview to analyze my confidence, people skills, my ability to answer difficult questions, and my capability of persuading the interviewer that I am the right person for the job. In this case, I applied for a conductor job for Norfolk Southern Corporation.


I thought the interview started off well. We made great eye contact, we had a firm handshake, and we seemed to get to know each other a little better before the actual interview began. I feel like this is an important step in the interview because it helps both of relate to the other person before questions are asked, which in turn helps relieve some of the tension and anxiousness between us. Once we got to learn a little more about each other, Ms. Rogers asked questions as to why I was interested and what qualities I can bring to the table. I thought I provided a good response by saying I want to work in a successful, long lasting corporation where great people work. I told her I have a friend who works in the railroad, and he has nothing but great comments to say about the company and the people that are employed. I followed this response by saying that I bring a great personality, excellent people skills, great organization, and reliability to the job. Being a conductor involves long and difficult shifts, but any one of my previous employers will say I am reliable for being on time and prepared. Furthermore, I am the person to call if extra help is needed, even if it during a difficult shift.

Next, Ms. Rogers asked why I would be a good fit for the job. I was pretty happy with my response by saying I have a great personality and the required work ethic it takes to be a conductor. I did say, however, that I do make occasional mistakes, but I do my best to make sure they do not happen again. I realized that unless she asks about a time I did made a mistake, do not answer a question about how mistake prone I am. A question like the one she asks involves positive qualities, not negative qualities.

For her next question, Ms. Rogers asked what kind of mistakes about which would you be less lenient? I was very happy with my response to this question by saying mistakes that involve safety. Safety is the number one priority in the workplace, especially on the railroad. In the first sentence of Norfolk Southern’s mission statement, it states that it wants to be the safest railroad. My answer clearly states that I want to be a part of this mission.

Finally, she asked if I had any questions for her. I asked her what she liked most about her job and one thing that she would change about it. These questions let her know that I am interested in why she works there and how she is looking to improve on making the company more efficient and effective.

No comments: